Here is a quick and easy French Toast recipe for a perfect weekend breakfast. All you will need are eggs, half and half, sugar, spices, vanilla, and bread. This dish can be served alone topped with powdered sugar and syrup or accompanied by fruit and strips of bacon. Kids and adults will love it.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash ground ginger
- 4-5 slices potato bread you can use any bread that you have
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Whisk eggs and sugar in shallow dish like a pie pan
- Whisk in half and half and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to mixture. Whisk together. Set aside.
- Heat frying pan on medium low heat. add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- When melted drip bread into egg mixture. Turn to coat both sides. Allow excess to drip off back into the mixture. Place the bread into the frying pan and brown on both sides. Remove and place on cooling rack or plate until ready to cut and serve.
- Repeat until all toast is cooked. Cut on a diagonal. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot.
We use a combination of spices to create a warm, rich flavor. If you do not have ginger or don’t care for it, you can omit and still have great results. If you are feeling adventurous this is a great place for a bit of Chinese five spice. Substitute a teaspoon of the seasoning in place of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
Pumpkin Spice French Toast – add a 1/2 can of pumpkin puree to the half and half and substitute the spices for 1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice. Cook according to recipe directions
Stuffed French Toast – cream 1 8 oz. brick of cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar then spread 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture on each of 4 slices of bread. Next, press the other 4 slices of bread on top to form 4 sandwiches. Dip sandwiches in egg mixture and fry according to recipe.
This recipe makes about 8 or 9 slices which can be cut in half for presentation. French toast can also be arranged in a circle topped with fresh strawberries and a small serving dish of syrup in the middle for a cute look.
Don’t forget the syrup!
For a little extra kick add syrup to a microwave proof dish and heat for 20 seconds. Stir a teaspoon of whiskey into the syrup before serving.
Please let us know how you like our recipe for quick and easy French Toast. Also, for more breakfast ideas!