I’ve mentioned before that Key Lime Pie is one of my top five favorite desserts. I really have a thing for well made, simple desserts like pound cake, creme brulee, and key lime pie. There is just something about that first bite that is creamy and tart and sweet. Yummy! I could go for a slice right now. It’d so easy to make and I want to show you how.
Key Lime Pie
- pie pan
- large bowl
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 14 oz. cans condensed milk
- 3/4 cup key lime juice preferably Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Make Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Add melted butter and stir until combined.
- Add mixture into a 9" pie pan. Firmly press the crumbs evenly along the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly while making the filling.
- Combine condensed milk, key lime juice, sour cream, and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the filling on top of the pie crust. Spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes. The pie will be set, but still jiggly.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
Make Whipped Cream
- Add whipped cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar to a mixing bowl. Whisk until the cream stands up in stiff peaks. This will take a couple of minutes.
- Add whipped cream to cooled pie. Spread across the top avoiding the crust. Add decorative swirls and zest lime over pie.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve cold.
Key limes can be very difficult to find, which is why I suggest using Nellie and Joe’s Key West Lime Juice. It will give you the familiar flavor of key lime without the hassle of finding and squeezing those tiny little limes! I have found it a Mom’s Organic Market but you can also find it online. Here is a link to their handy store locator.
Freshly baked key lime pie will keep for about 2 to 3 days in the fridge; refrigerate covered loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. To freeze your pie, just wrap it tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag. It will maintain best quality for about 1 to 2 months, but will remain safe beyond that time.
Be sure to check out some of our latest sweet treats!